School of Rock – Day 5 – Rhythm Basics

School of Rock – Day 5 – Rhythm Basics

SUMMARY

Today I learned about rythm

CLASSROOM

Watch How Rhythm Works (47 minutes)

tempo is speed of music

pulse = rhythm

syncopation =describes jerky rhythms, where you sneakily shift a beat

cross rhythm= a rhythm used simultaneously with another

accent =emphasis or stress on one note

LAB

Step 1: Watch Drum Arrangements Made Simple and learn how to create a simple groove and fill-ins.

Step 2: Learn how to Arranging Drums in Hookpad

Step 3: (Optional) Explore Advanced Drum Arrangements in Hookpad.

I enjoyed this activity. It was interesting to see how background music is made and it will be cool to add some background  music to my first song.

PRACTICE ROOM

Time for the right hand to take center stage (if you are a right-handed guitar player).

Watch Mike Palmisano show you how to play guitar like a drummer.

Find a Funklet beat you like.

On guitar, play along with the beat trying Mike’s guitar strumming technique.

This activity was hard for me because I am just starting out on the guitar. It is getting easier for me to play high and low notes and switch between them.

A Side Note

OUTSIDE / JOURNAL / IDEAS

Flip through the Quizlet on Rhythm Terminology flashcards a couple times.

Image Metric levels from the Wikimedia Commons

After playing with Quizlet, go for a walk and think about the rhythm of your steps.  How many beats per minute is your walk/pace/cadence? What is the tempo of some of your favorite songs?  How many beats per minute is your favorite tempo?

The tempo of my walk was slow and meandering but I usually like songs with a fast tempo. Around 120 bpm.  The walk went on for a long duration. I have note=iced that I enjoy music with accelerando. I have also noticed that many songs in video games have this quality.

STUDIO

Funklet is back!  This time in the studio. Pick a drummer, like Clyde Stubblefield. Play around with their a beat with Funklet’s editing options. Play a rhythmic guitar strumming pattern over the beat. Practice playing in time with the beat. Try muting the strings and keeping tempo, chucka-chucka style. Watch this chucka-chucka tutorial, to better understand the technique.

CONTROL ROOM

Funklet is back, AGAIN!  This time in the control room.

Pick a drummer.

Export the MIDI file.

Import it into Soundtrap.

Record a rhythmic guitar strumming pattern over the beat.

Watch Mr. Le Duc’s Tutorial for Exporting and Importing MIDI Files with Funklet, HookLab, and Soundtrap, if you get stuck with any of these steps.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

Today I learned about melody and rhythm. I also learned how to play the basic chords on the guitar. It was fun being able to experiment with what sounded good the the guitar and what didn’t. I enjoyed making up short songs. I struggled a little with soundtrap today but I am getting the hang of it.