Art of the Interview – Citizen Kane Project

Summary

The goal of this film was to work together as a group to prove that we are capable of doing the different roles of a film production team and to analyze and explain what we learned from researching the first scene of Citizen Kane. First we spent a week taking notes on the first scene alone. After we became familiar with the film we started to analyze the film in depth on out own. After we were done we established groups based on which scene we had. We split into the different roles of a film production team and spent a week creating a short film about the first scene in Citizen Kane.

The Film

Camera Settings

As you can see for this project we kept the camera on Manual so we could change the shutter speed ourselves. We used a shallow depth of field because she was really close to the camera. Our ISO was on 800 for medium brightness because we had lots on lights on set. We left the rest of the settings on default because the video looked good without changing them.

Lighting

In this film we used soft light.

As you can see, none of Emily’s face has shadow on it. I chose this to try to create soft lighting. We used the ceiling lights from above and a light aiming up at her face from down below to create even lighting. However she does look pale because I should have used an orange light filter.

Reactions to the Final Version

Dzung: The lighting was even, too close to the person in frame, and the person was set at eye level in the film. Overall, it was good for the first time filming.

Natalie: The lighting was even, but use a warm light for a warmer skin tone look. The interviewee looked very pale because of lighting. The camera angle was good because I know you shot from farther away, however the interviewee was very close to the camera. Overall good use of putting the camera at eye level and good lighting.

What I learned and Problems I Solved

In this project I learned how to film someone in an interview. I learned which shot looks best (medium shot) and how to set up the lights to create soft light (have lights coming from below and above. During this project solved a few minor problems. During shooting Emily was holding up the script and reading it. I got the idea to have her try to memorize most of her lines. Also at first we set up the lights up high and had the ceiling lights on. This created a low key lighting effect so I decided to set the camera up down low to create fill lighting.